Sally Beauty Holdings
Job Title: Associate Buyer
Essential Function: This position will have direct responsibility for a portion of the aggregate category as designated by the Buyer. Responsible for the day to day management and execution of business processes to maximize sales and gross margin objectives, while managing inventory objectives for specific categories. Works actively with the Buyer and cross functional team in developing strategic objectives to ensure long term sustained growth.
40%:Develops the assortment strategy for a portion of the aggregate category. Works collaboratively with vendor and cross functional teams to maximize first to market approach of on trend products, and promotional and pricing strategy for the assigned category. Supports category management process by researching, analyzing and drawing conclusions from customers, data, vendors, needs, and task analyses to provide a concise, logical merchandising focus. Identifies and promotes new products and trends in a timely manner to maximize sales potential. Collaboratively builds and executes strategic business plans to ensure overall success of the category to achieve company objectives.
35%:Contributes to and supports the category management process to achieve sales and management objectives. Partners appropriately to manage the flyer building and buying process ensuring that all deadlines are adhered to. Measures the effectiveness of the advertising offer through sell through. Partners appropriately to manage the pricing process to ensure accuracy and a competitive position.
10%:Works independently and/or supports category team in the negotiation with vendors to reduce costs and increase margins. Negotiate special terms, discounts, allowances and payment dating in all appropriate opportunities.
10%:Identifies and devises profitable exit strategies, including vendor participation, of slow selling items, discontinued items, package changes and poor promotional sell through.
5%:Attends vendor meetings and tradeshow presentations to identify sales opportunities through new products, trends and competitive strategies.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Indicate the minimum qualifications required to perform the job: work experience (including type of work and number of years required), education (including desired degree and field of study), specify certificate or license requirements.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience. Degree in Business/ Purchasing preferred.
- 2-4 years Merchandising or Planning and Allocation experience in related field. Consumer goods and services preferred.
- Computer skills including AS 400 Operating system, Excel Spreadsheet, Microsoft Word and Outlook e-mail.
- JDA experience would be a plus.
Competencies / Attributes:
- Strong analytical and organizational skills combined with high creative potential.
- Ability to multi task with accuracy.
- Leadership qualities and work ethics that dictate the standards for the department.
- Ability to communicate with and influence all levels of staff.
Working Conditions /Physical Requirements:
- The work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts which require normal safety precautions typical of such places as offices, meeting and training rooms, retail stores, and residences or commercial vehicles, e.g., use of safe work practices with office equipment, avoidance of trips and falls, observance of fire regulations and traffic signals, etc. The work area is adequately lighted, heated, and ventilated.
- The work is sedentary. Typically, the employee may sit comfortably to do the work. However, there may be some walking; standing; bending; carrying of light items such as papers, files, books, small parts; using a keyboard, driving an automobile, etc. No special physical demands are required to perform the work.