Strategist Intermediate / Associate
University of Michigan
How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
As a member of Michigan Medicine’s Department of Strategy (DOS), this individual will assist in the development and execution of Michigan Medicine’s strategic plans and initiatives, spanning the tripartite mission. In particular, this individual will participate in DOS teams that advise senior leadership across a variety of initiatives, including creating cascaded, coordinated strategic plans, assessing and executing strategic affiliations and network development opportunities, implementing and coordinating key strategic initiatives, and developing and utilizing analytics to drive decision-making. In addition, this individual will work closely with Michigan Medicine’s strategic affiliates on cross-organizational initiatives to ensure successful and mutually rewarding affiliations. In this role, this individual will work with the DOS Directors for Strategic Planning, Business Development, Strategic Implementation, and Business Analytics and Intelligence, all in support of the Chief Strategy Officer and the Chief Clinical Strategy Officer.
The DOS supports a flexible first work environment. The selected candidate will have the option to participate in the department’s remote/in-person hybrid work model including working from home, when appropriate, if desired.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
- Assist in the preparation of strategic plans and business cases for enterprise-wide, and program-specific clinical, teaching, and research priorities and initiatives
- Develop business plans, pro formas, and feasibility studies to rigorously evaluate promising strategic opportunities
- Support execution of affiliations and partnerships, including facilitating various work streams, partnering with other Michigan Medicine stakeholders, and coordinating due diligence process
- Support implementation of established strategic plans and tactics, at both the enterprise level for all elements of the mission, and for specific services and programs
- Support post-closing implementation and operational integration of new affiliates (both hospital and physician group practices) joining Michigan Medicine
- Develop market analytics to support all forms of Michigan Medicine strategic plans and initiatives
- Assist in the development and maintenance of data analytics tools (e.g., dashboards) utilized by Michigan Medicine leadership and individual departments and service lines
- Assist in supporting strategic planning efforts of Michigan Medicine affiliates, such as University of Michigan Health-West in Grand Rapids
- Actively “market” DOS’s scope of services and capabilities across the enterprise to promote awareness and utilization, and actively promote a culture of exceptional customer service within DOS
- Participate in internal DOS projects and initiatives aimed at enhancing and ensuring the quality of service provided to Michigan Medicine
Perform other related duties as assigned
This position reports directly to one of the Directors for Strategic Planning, Business Development, Strategic Implementation, or Business Analytics and Intelligence.
A strong candidate will have the following qualifications:
- A Master's degree in Business Administration or Health Services Administration or an equivalent combination of education and experience, with at least 6 years of health care experience
- Familiarity with the health care environment and trends
- Demonstrated ability to think critically, diagnose challenges, and develop and test hypotheses
- Financial acumen and advanced project management capabilities
- Ability to communicate, both verbally and in writing, in a clear and concise manner
- Ability to organize and prioritize in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment with success at simultaneously balancing a variety of complex projects
- Demonstrated ability to work within a diverse team that seeks to provide excellent client service
6 years experience
4 years experience
This position requires occasional travel for meetings across the medical campus, administrative sites, and with affiliated systems and organizations.
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
U-M COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
COVID-19 vaccinations, including one booster when eligible, are required for all University of Michigan students, faculty and staff across all campuses, including Michigan Medicine. This includes those working remotely and temporary workers. More information on this new policy is available on the U-M Health Response website or the UM-Dearborn and UM-Flint websites.
Job Opening ID
Strategist Intermediate / Associate
Michigan Medicine - Health Sys
Ann Arbor, MI
Exec Vp Med Affairs
MM Strategic Plan & Bus Devel
Posting Begin/End Date
1/25/2023 - 2/28/2023