Project Superintendent - Colorado
Millstone Weber, LLC.
Millstone Weber operates in nearly every sector of the heavy civil transportation construction industry, giving us the opportunity to build long-lasting quality relationships we re proud to be a part of.
Our strong employee retention rate speaks to both the growth opportunities we provide and the core values we constantly work towards:
People, Quality, Innovation, & Continuous Improvement
At Millstone Weber we believe that we make a difference. It s what sets us apart. As exceptional builders, we improve lives and give back to the communities we work in.
A Project Superintendent oversees all operations of a project from early planning to completion. They are required to demonstrate a thorough knowledge of all phases of construction practices and have a comprehensive understanding of plans and specifications. Their job is to organize and coordinate all personnel, equipment, suppliers and subcontractors to ensure harmonious operations throughout the project. They must be able to maintain the budget and the schedule of the project. They have to include safety in everything that they do and must be well versed on the OSHA regulations. They must be able to have a plan in place with all personnel, prior to construction activities that involve a high degree of risk.
Duties and responsibilities
- Attend project hand-off meeting with Estimating team.
- Work with PM to put together baseline project schedule including activities, durations, and logic.
- Attend pre-construction meeting with Owner.
- Attend/participate pre-construction meetings with Union (as necessary). Must have a comprehensive understanding of the current Union contract agreements for the various crafts in the project area.
- Plan/direct the work daily. This includes planning/directing MW crews, material deliveries, and subcontractors. A Superintendent is the Field General.
- Manage project costs and profitability by evaluating/adjusting crew sizes and monitoring/adjusting production rates paying attention to what is in the project budget.
- Manage overall project schedule and understand LD s risk. Manage and work smart overtime on schedule critical activities. Push work to stay on schedule with MW Operations company schedule, i.e., paving schedule, manpower/resources scheduling.
- Accurately estimate material quantities needed in an effort to minimize overruns.
- Manage equipment effectively to maximize utilization and minimize rentals.
- Prepare time cards accurately and timely. Keep daily diaries/notes as well as track/report quantities in HeavyJob.
- Prepare/transmit daily planner to Owner, MW management, and project team.
- Attend/participate in weekly partnering/progress meeting with Owner.
- Participate in 3-week look ahead schedule preparation (weekly).
- Perform new employee orientations and drug testing (as required/necessary).
- Lead by example with Safety. Wear PPE, hold tool box talks weekly, discuss/plan for critical operations (and assist in JHA s), participate in safety walkthroughs, and correct unsafe conditions. Must understand company safety policy.
- Perform thorough accident investigation/documentation and timely reporting to the Safety Department.
- Prepare/submit employee disciplinary reports to PM, HR, and Sr. VP – Construction.
- Coordinate with the appropriate Operation Managers as necessary, i.e. Paving, Structures, Equipment, and Dispatching.
- Demand and plan for quality work and eliminate rework that costs the project money.
- Understand SWPPP requirements and stay on top of installation, maintenance, and documentation of erosion/sediment control measures.
- Keep a clean job (good housekeeping), maintain good public relations, and be a good neighbor to adjacent homeowners and businesses by acting as a liaison between the company and the public.
- Have a good working relationship with the Project Manager, Field Engineer, and craft Foremen to coordinate the everyday details of the job.
- 7+ years of construction experience
- Field Engineer or craft Foreman experience is required
- OSHA 30 Hour
- CPR and First Aid training/certifications
- Ability to effectively communicate (both verbally and written) at all different levels, i.e., field, project management, Owner, stakeholders, upper management
- Knowledge of all types of construction work, i.e., grading, drainage, base, paving, and structures
- Have a comprehensive understanding of construction math, i.e., computing concrete, asphalt, dirt, rock volumes: computing grades and percentages from survey stakes for roadway and bridge excavation and pipe work and an understanding of GPS equipment
- Ability to work both independently and in a team atmosphere
- Ability to work resolve everyday problems, keeping all appropriate parties aware of issues and/or risks. Must be able to make difficult yes/no decisions in a timely manner.
- Have a strong work ethic
- Proficient computer skills in Outlook, Excel, and HeavyJob
- Knowledge of equipment usage and applicable equipment charts, i.e., crane load charts, excavator working range, etc.
- Must be a good negotiator
- Estimating/bidding support as required in pursuit of new projects
- Maintain a valid driver s license in order to drive for the company
- Perform other duties as assigned
Outside environment and exposure to all weather conditions and temperatures. Site specific exposure to potentially hazardous materials requiring proper use of Personal Protective Equipment. Noise levels are site specific and may be subject to PPE. Must be on call as necessary to address inclement weather, potential delays, emergencies, and night/weekend construction. Position requires working extended hours during the season and on schedule critical projects. May require temporary relocation depending on project location and distance from home office.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to be on one s feet standing and walking for a majority of the day
- You are occasionally required to climb or balance and stoop or kneel
- May frequently have to lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25+ pounds
- Will also be exposed to the office environment to attend to the administrative responsibilities of the position
- Must have the ability to multitask
- Position requires the employee to spend the majority of their time on the project sites
- Assistant Superintendents
- Field Engineers
- Craft Foremen
Base Compensation: $90,000 - $125,000
(Actual compensation is subject to variation due to such factors as education, experience, skillset, and/or location)
We offer our fulltime staff employees a comprehensive benefits package including medical insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, employee assistance programs, life insurance, long term disability/ AD&D insurance, 401k, ESOP and generous paid time off.