Referral Specialist - Pediatrics
Premier Medical Group P C
All Employees of Premier Medical Group are required to demonstrate our core values of Integrity, Respect and Compassion throughout their employment with us, placing patients first. Our employees must commit to always acknowledging our patients positively; showing genuine concern for their needs, identifying themselves and how they and others on the team can help, keeping patients informed and offering thanks for choosing and trusting us with their healthcare needs.
Job Purpose: Responsible for coordinating all primary and specialty care referrals for clinic.
Essential Functions: (Examples of Duties)
- Obtains authorizations from MCOs as needed for patient referrals to specialty, hospital and agency providers.
- Checks authorization and accuracy of patient information.
- Performs data entry of referral information into practice management system.
- Schedules all patient referrals to specialty, hospital and agency providers as requested by medical provider in a timely and appropriate manner.
- Coordinates referral appointments ensuring patient is notified and tracks patient compliance with referral appointment.
- Ensures patient medical and demographic information are received by the specialty/outside provider.
- Ensures patient is notified of any special testing requirements.
- Attends required meetings and participates in committees as requested.
- Performs related work as assigned.
Education: High School Diploma or equivalent required. Graduation from an accredited medical assisting or nursing program preferred.
Experience: One-year referral work experience in healthcare environment preferred.
Knowledge and Skills: Knowledge of standard operating procedures for clinic operation. Knowledge of managed care insurance practices and programs. Knowledge of medical terminology. Ability to work effectively with external agencies, patients and staff. Ability to identify and analyze problems. Ability to communicate clearly and effectively both orally and in writing. Knowledge of computer systems, programs and applications. Ability to effectively operate telephone and office equipment.
Working Conditions: Work is performed in an office environment. Contact with staff, patients and outside organizations.
Physical Demands: Requires frequent sitting, occasional standing. Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity to operate telephone, computer, copy machine etc. Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to record and prepare reports and communicate appropriately.