Project Manager with Caltrans Experience
Acumen Building Enterprise
Project Manager with Caltrans Construction Management Oversight Experience
An Oakland, CA-based engineering consulting firm seeks a skilled project manager to provide remote and onsite
oversight of transportation-related construction management projects, as part of a project delivery team
supporting an agency in Alameda County. Experience overseeing California Department of Transportation
(Caltrans) capital highway projects is required. This project manager must proactively monitor project scope, cost,
and schedule risks through the construction and close out phases and stay in close communication with
the client. This is an on-call, part-time position that could turn into full-time work.
The ideal candidate is motivated and will perform, at minimum, the following tasks:
• Oversee construction management/construction contract administration services by others (primarily
Caltrans but possibly a construction management consultant).
- Monitor and manage all project costs including costs for Caltrans services, agency’s Design Engineer of
Record, utility relocation, right-of-way (ROW), legal, and other costs as may be expected during the
construction and close out phase of a project.
- Proactively monitor and evaluate work progress to verify progress is timely.
- Review, process, track Contract Change Orders (CCO) and recommend appropriate actions.
- Coordinate and manage tasks performed by agency’s Design Engineer of Record.
- Review and manage risk register prepared by Caltrans.
- Track all material submittals including requests for information (RFIs) and responses and provide full
records on project completion.
- Represent agency in project team meetings with consultant staff, contractors, and outside agencies.
- Initiate and conduct issues resolution meetings and workshops as necessary.
- Monitor and update Project Funding Plan budgets. Prepare project cash flow estimates.
- Identify potential funding as may be required to address project risks and/or identified shortfalls.
- Elevate risks for resolution as appropriate.
- Communicate project issues as appropriate and manage project expectations with project stakeholders.
- Perform quality assurance/quality control on tasks, processes, technical documents, submittals, etc.
- Manage and closeout ROW acquisition activities, contract obligations, and utility relocation activities
- Perform contract and project closeout tasks.
• At least five years of work experience with solid technical knowledge and skills in construction
management, transit system construction, or transportation project management
- Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering, construction management, or equivalent experience
- Registered civil engineer in the State of California.
- Experience with Caltrans projects in California is essential for this role
Knowledge, skills, and abilities:
• Ability to read and comprehend schedules, blueprints, project drawings, plans, and specifications
- High degree of familiarity with contract and subcontract documents, terms, and conditions
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to document noncompliant work and follow contract procedure toward resolution
- Skilled in Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Word
7770 Pardee Lane, Suite 00, Oakland, California 9461 | 510.530.309 or toll-free 888.530.3894 | www.acumentransit.com
– Project Manager with Caltrans Experience
Other requirements: Must possess a valid California Driver License and have a satisfactory driving record.
May be required to make visits to client/agency offices and project job sites.