Technician Apprentice Program - Body Apprentice
Repair vehicles thoroughly, safely, and profitably in a manner consistent with Caliber S.O.P., insurance partner and industry guidelines/standards. Effectively work with Body Technicians to assist with the repair process.
Essential Job Duties
- Complete dis-assembly of vehicle in order to assist Service Advisor with preparing a 100% Repair Plan
- Ensure all needed repairs identified to eliminate supplements and minimize repair time
- Plan work procedure: follow work order for all operations listed
- Remove upholstery, accessories, electrical and hydraulic window and seat operating equipment and trim to gain access to damaged area of vehicle if needed. Store parts on carts or cover to eliminate potential damage
- Mend damaged body and fenders by hammering out or filling in dents and welding broken parts; insure all gaps and fits are to industry standards
- Operate a variety of hand and power tools (e.g. welder, soldering equipment, cutting torch, blocks, hammers, wrenches, sander, spray guns, etc.)
- Fill depressions with body filler
- Remove damaged fenders, panels and grills; and bolts or welds replacement parts in position and reassemble after parts are painted; insure all gaps and fills are to industry standards
- File, grind, and sand repaired surfaces with 120-grit paper before turning vehicle over to the Paint Dept.
- Aim headlamps and repair or replace defective parts
- Inspect and test drive repaired vehicles to check for compliance with safety and quality standards
- Assist Service Advisors in assessing damage to vehicles prior to repair
- Comply with all Caliber safety rules, guidelines and standards
- Perform other related duties as assigned including, but not limited to washing cars, cleaning the shop, assisting other teammates, etc.
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must have a valid drivers license and be eligible for coverage under Calibers insurance policy (Not an excluded driver)
- Ability to effectively communicate with others
- Ability to read and understand instructions, written estimates and work orders
- Multi-tasking; adapts easily to fast-paced environment
- Personable, friendly demeanor with World Class customer service approach to internal and external customers
- Maintain a well-groomed appearance
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions
Position is based in a normal shop environment. Frequent physical activity such as kneeling, bending, squatting, stooping, lifting above shoulders, standing for long periods of time during the repair of a vehicle is a part of daily activity as well as repetitive tasks involving hand and arm motion and lifting objects over 50 pounds. Must be able to push/pull parts carts and cars with assistance. Working environment consists of: Exposure to fumes, chemicals, dust, along with high levels of noise as well as regularly exposed to working near moving mechanical parts. Caliber enforces the mandatory requirement to wear protective equipment. Must have manual dexterity to operate equipment. Subject to weather conditions both inside and outside.