Area Manager - Asset Protection - IE/OC/HI
The Area Manager of Asset Protection is responsible for supervision of Asset Protection leaders and teams in both Nordstrom and Nordstrom Rack stores throughout their District to include recruiting, development, performance oversight and budgeting. This position will be responsible for the co-development and execution of the company shrink reduction strategy, as well as the related financial performance within their area of responsibility. The Area Asset Protection Manager is responsible for the safety and security of employees, theft prevention, enhancing company profitability, and alignment with company values and business strategy. The Area Manager Asset Protection is also responsible for working with cross-functional teams throughout the organization; leading shrink reduction business plans, providing program visibility, and general support to the evolution of the retail asset protection business. The position is field-based, and travel is required.
- Lead and clearly articulate the vision and values of the organization and the AP department within the assigned area of responsibility
- Strong business acumen to inform quality decisions that influence and drive results.
- Develop effective partnerships and interact extensively with multiple teams in cross functional areas including District leadership, Store Management, Service Experience, Inventory Accuracy, Risk Team, VIW Team, and Human Resources. Lead and influence the district as the expert in process education in all shrink impacting subjects.
- Be data obsessed! Evaluate relevant shrink data from multiple sources to identify trends in internal and external theft.
- Act as a results-oriented leader that possesses strong influencing skill and is comfortable working in a fast-paced ambiguous environment while prioritizing and managing multiple responsibilities
- Drive, communicate and monitor store participation and provide Asset Protection awareness on security, safety, shrink reduction initiatives and Asset Protection training topics.
- Provide direction and consultation during process rollouts and system enhancements to ensure proper adoption, deployment, and to ensure that all employees are executing the program the way it was designed
• Forecast and problem solve theft related issues and manage complex projects for shrink improvement • Lead implementation of company shrink programs and directives, including creating specific shrink reduction plans and manages compliance and ensures strong awareness culture is in place in all assigned stores.
- Analyze security and safety metrics in area of responsibility and identify/recommend practical solutions to address outliers
- Leverage and dissect all district and departmental activity performance reporting to identify risks and mitigate issues that reduce loss and maximize profitability
- Take a proactive approach to innovate, develop, implement, and manage programs to reduce shortage including preventing and detecting issues of theft and dishonesty
Internal and External Theft Mitigation
- Manage the implementation of programs designed to protect Company assets from loss due to internal/external theft, fraud and unsafe practices within a designated geographical area
- Direct major external theft cases in partnership with corporate ORC team and Market Organized Retail Theft Investigators to bring swift and effective closure to identified cases and to reduce loss
- Investigate cases of internal and external theft or fraud and conduct interviews when appropriate
- Develop, monitor, and interpret key performance indicators (KPIs) and exception-based reporting to help reduce loss, proactively identify trends and root cause in high shrink locations
- Conduct and manage district internal investigations & dishonest employee interviews
- Investigate external incidents (i.e. burglary, ORC activity and major thefts) develop action plans if needed, Conduct and manage all external apprehension programs and appropriate case documentation in the district
- Quality control of investigations to ensure proper evidence is retained and secured and all Nordstrom guidelines are followed.
- Participate as witness or subject matter expert in court proceedings
Emergency Response and Safety Support
- Effectively address, communicate and respond to security incidents, including potential and actual workplace violence incidents, burglary alarm events, protests and civil unrest
- Maintain a safe work environment for all customers and employees by providing safety and emergency preparedness training to store teams and key leaders, ensuring all safety guidelines are being met, and taking action on any safety concerns within the district.
- Conduct appropriate testing of the incident response plans
- Effectively addressing security incidents and communicating through the everbridge platform; incidents may include work place violence, significant weather events, and other business disruptions.
- Conduct training of the incident response plans and escalation of high-risk incidents when necessary to EMT.
- Support an environment of Transparency, Diversity and Inclusion
- Recruit hire and train best in class Asset Protection teams in multiple locations. Lead Asset Protection Managers, and Asset Protection hourly associates with a diverse mix of styles, perspectives, and experience.
• Provide valuable mentorship and feedback to build teams with potential for growth responsibility and oversite for all onboarding, training, and compliance of state certification requirements. • Develop AP team competency in internal and external investigations, auditing, shortage reduction programs, AP awareness programs and system controls.
- Influence and educate cross functional partners related to critical controls and influencers of inventory shrink
- Customer Focus: Builds strong customer relationships and delivers customer-centric solutions.
- Decision Quality: Makes sound and timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward, demonstrated ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Communicates Effectively: Clear and effective written and verbal communication and strong interpersonal skills, including demonstrating strong business acumen in all situations.
- Drives Results: Persists in accomplishing objectives, even under tough circumstances. Has a track record of successfully achieving priorities though displaying advanced analytical skills
- Develops People: Develops people to meet both their career goals and the organization’s goals. Demonstrated expertise in developing teams and fosters a player /coach mindset. Success in courageously leading teams through change management
- Has Courage: Flexibility to address difficult issues by saying reaching and responding to emergency situations
- Bachelor’s degree in related field preferred or demonstrated experience required
- 5-8+ years’ experience in asset protection, loss prevention, inventory control, security services; multi-unit experience preferred
- 5 years’ experience in managing people leaders
- WZ certification required, CFI certification preferred
- Demonstrated ability to lead effective shrink strategy
- Ability to multi-task, make decisions and provide guidance in stressful situations
- Strong time management skills with the capacity to meet deadlines and adjust to changing priorities
- Effective interpersonal skills both written and verbal with the ability to communicate effectively
- Proficient in exception based reporting, CCTV, and alarm based reporting
- Proficient with MS Office Professional Suite, including intermediate knowledge of Excel.
- Ability to travel up to 25%-50%
We’ve got you covered…
Our employees are our most important asset and that’s reflected in our benefits. Nordstrom is proud to offer a variety of benefits to support employees and their families, including:
- Medical/Vision, Dental, Retirement and Paid Time Away
- Life Insurance and Disability
- Merchandise Discount and EAP Resources
A few more important points...
The job posting highlights the most critical responsibilities and requirements of the job. It’s not all-inclusive. There may be additional duties, responsibilities and qualifications for this job.
Nordstrom will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with all legal requirements.
Applicants with disabilities who require assistance or accommodation should contact the nearest Nordstrom location, which can be identified at www.nordstrom.com.
2022 Nordstrom, Inc
Current Nordstrom employees: To apply, log into Workday, click the Careers button and then click Find Jobs.
Pay Range Details
The pay range(s) below are provided in compliance with state specific laws. Pay ranges may be different in other locations.
California: $80,500 - $153,000 Annually