Director of Internal Consultancy
As part of our hybrid and flexible working approach this permanent role offers a mix of home working and office working, predominantly in our Waltham, MA and Brooklyn, NY offices although there may be occasional need to visit other sites.
Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our businesses.
As a Senior Internal Consultant, you will play an important leadership role within the Internal Consultancy team as well as advising leaders across the business.
You will lead the delivery of client engagements in line with agreed scope – understanding and framing key client problems/opportunities; demonstrating thought leadership to support the definition of impactful solutions and pragmatic implementation plans; putting in place the necessary project structures and governance for delivery; and effectively handing over to the relevant internal/external delivery teams.
This role has multiple stakeholders, and success will require significant facilitation and coordination skills as well as the intellectual and strategic ability to challenge established thinking and lead discussions where necessary. Your voice and credibility will be important in these debates and your ability to influence and take senior leaders with you will be crucial to your success.
You will also play a key part in coaching and developing Internal Consultancy team members as well as client staff – building capability through the deployment of best practices and providing clear, specific performance feedback and actionable developmental suggestions in a manner that builds confidence and fosters a safe and inclusive environment.
Your strategic ability needs to be balanced with a deep understanding of the operational and commercial challenges faced by a business, key success factors, and those factors which can derail the successful implementation of a strategy. You will also have experience working with and influencing senior leaders within an organisation coupled with a broad understanding of the energy sector and regulatory issues affecting the industry.
You will have 8-10 years of significant experience across a broad set of management consultancy skills including:
- Client engagement definition and execution
- Led the development of consulting proposals, Statements of Work and client deliverables
- Managed consultancy engagement team(s) and/or multiple programs and day to day interactions with corresponding client teams
- Exposure and success across multiple areas of business strategy / improvement, such as:
- Business unit strategy development and execution in large, complex corporate environments
- Operating model and organization development / design
- Business and Operational Performance improvement and benchmarking
- End-to-end process improvement
- Programme and Change Management
- Digital capabilities to drive efficiency improvement
- A diverse set of demonstrated capabilities
- Complex problem solving and business solution development
- Leading and delivering sustainable change
- Strong analytical, presentation, and communication skills
- Comfortable dealing with ambiguity; able to break down problems into actionable tasks, develop work plans and structure work stream output/deliverables
- Ability to translate strategy into action and tangible outcomes
- Ability to engage and build strong relationships with business leaders to motivate and drive change
- Practice Development
- Coached/mentored junior staff
- Development of thought leadership and building subject matter expertise
- Industry experience across areas such as:
- Energy industry, transmission and distribution
- Regulated businesses, with a focus on utilities
$171k - $201k a year, Waltham
$183k - $215k a year, NYC
This position has a career path which provides for advancement opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills. Candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.