Casting Simulation Technical Expert
Ford Motor Company
Date: 2 weeks ago
City: Dearborn, MI
Contract type: Full time
The position is within our Product Development organization focused on supporting the design and development of structural high press die cast (HPDC) components to support the future body in white (BIW) and frame designs. The Technical Expert in this position will be responsible for supporting and guiding the engineering and simulation team through the use of CAE casting simulation tool.
- Bachelor's or higher-level degree in Industrial or Mechanical Engineering
- 5+ years of experience working in Process Simulation software such as MAGMA.
- Experience directing an engineering team in conducting simulation of large high pressure die casting.
- A strong understanding of the casting process and the development of automotive body parts.
- Proficient with discrete-event simulation tools and Matlab or Python.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills and ability to manage several projects at the same time in a highly variable and uncertain environment
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral.
- Microsoft Office experience.
- Capable of running simulations in MAGMA or equivalent casting simulation software.
- Work with a cross functional team including personnel from product development, manufacturing, and suppliers to develop large structural castings that are manufacturing efficient for BIW and frame applications on future vehicles.
- Perform and oversee casting process simulations to support the development of high press aluminum die cast parts for automotive body structural applications. Simulations will focus on flow, solidification and thermal performance of the casting during processing.
- Develop design guideline and process requirements to enable efficient casting for manufacturing while meeting the product / vehicle requirements.
- Provide suggestions for casting process and component design optimization based on model results.
- Compiles simulation technical reports to support the process development process.
- Support the develop design and process actions based on simulation results to guide the design engineer and supplier changes required to meet part performance and processing parameters.
- Perform assessments of the impact of alloy changes on the castability of casting designs.
- Provide direction on design or process changes needed to optimize the casting process for maximum efficiency.
- Sign off on final process and product design prior builds, certification testing, and production start-up.
- Support trouble shooting of prototype and production process with the supplier to address any part quality issues.