Polymer Physics Researcher
Solvay is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristics. Click on the links to read "The EEO is the Law" poster and the “EEO is the Law” poster Supplement.
We will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants. For more information, please click here.
Solvay is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.
Solvay is a science company whose technologies bring benefits to many aspects of daily life. Our purpose—we bond people, ideas and elements to reinvent progress—is a call to go beyond, to reinvent future forms of progress and create sustainable shared value for all through the power of science. In a world facing an ever-growing population and quest for resources, we aim to be the driving force triggering the next breakthroughs to enable humanity to advance while protecting the planet we all share.
We bond with customers and partners to address today and tomorrow’s megatrends. As a global leader in Materials, Chemicals and Solutions, Solvay brings advancements in planes, cars, batteries, smart and medical devices, water and air treatment, to solve critical industrial, social and environmental challenges. You can count on our innovative solutions to contribute to safer, cleaner and more sustainable future.
Solvay in Alpharetta has an exciting opportunity for someone seeking an opportunity in research! The Research Technician is responsible for planning and executing materials science testing, analysis and general laboratory activities as defined by the Polymer Physics Research Scientists for various research and development projects.
- Strong initiative and work ethic, technically curious, and a thirst to advance our understand of our materials
- Prepare samples, and conduct characterization testing directly, or submit samples for analysis
- Collect, organize data and experimental observations, and communicate to research scientists, document experiments and results.
- Operate and maintain relevant equipment, instrumentation and experimental techniques. Assist Research Scientists, in a global team, in evaluating new test protocols, equipment, sample preparation procedures, etc.
- Conduct preventative maintenance on laboratory equipment, including specifying and getting quotes on parts, installations and repairs from outside resources.
- Maintains a safe work environment for self and others.
- Participates in peer and area coordinator safety audits and attends all required safety meetings & training.
- Maintains relevant Certified Operator status and adheres to relevant work area SOPs and processes.
- Performs other tasks and duties as required.
- B. S. Degree in Materials Science, Polymer Science, Physics, Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, or related technical field required
- Masters of Science degree in a Materials Science, Polymer Science, Physics, Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, or related technical field preferred
- 3+ years relevant experience in physical materials characterization methods; examples include, tensile/compressive/bending mechanical testing, optical microscopy, digital image correlation, acoustic emission, dynamic mechanical analysis, etc.
- Experience or background in Composite Materials, Polymer Science, Mechanical Engineering, or Chemical Engineering
- Experience in any composite student group (Formula SAE, SAMPE, ETC.) strongly preferred.
- High attention to detail and ability to work meticulously to observe and adjust processes and experiments as they progress
- Demonstrated problem solving ability and capability to identify improvements to current chemistry and processes
- Demonstrated ability to work under the direction of scientist or manager and to work independently on established projects or protocols.
Solvay’s purpose is to bond people, ideas and elements to reinvent progress. We can only fulfill this purpose with a diverse workforce that feels respected and appreciated, and has equal opportunities to work, grow and thrive. Our differences, visible or not, are valued. As Solvay seeks to promote unity and not uniformity, we invite you - regardless of background, age, gender, race, national origin, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, ability or identity - to consider a future with us.