Avenues to Independence
Preferred-Associates degree in a human service related field, 1 year experience working with people with disabilities and 1 year retail experience. Considered-High School Diploma plus disability, retail experience totaling 2 years or more will be considered. Passing all required Illinois Healthcare Workers Background Checks.
Participate in all daily operations of the program; ensure staff, participant, volunteer, and customer safety and compliance with established policies and procedures; at the direction of the Manager, establish the pricing of items for sale and ensure that store is maintained in an attractive, neat, and orderly manner; ensure the accountability and security of all store items and funds.
Example of Responsibilities:
- Assist in the day-to-day operations of the program and retail operations.
- Maintain a positive working atmosphere by acting and communicating in a professional manner that will establish and promote a professional working relationship with donors, customers, participants, volunteers, co-workers and management.
- Participate in the cashier activities as needed; assist volunteers in ringing up, recording, and receipting sales; resolve personnel, customer and other problems; provide for accountability of the cashier funds; prepare daily sales reports and bank deposits.
- Provide for good customer service; resolve customer disputes; assist customers with donating items.
- Maintain the store displays; arrange, rotate, and re-stock displayed items to ensure the displays remain in a plentiful, neat and orderly manner for customer convenience and store attractiveness.
- Ensure a safe working environment; review store fixtures, utilities, appliances, building structures and procedures to provide for a safe, secure environment for program participants, volunteers, customers and Avenues personnel. Rectify problems when possible and notify the Manager of any condition requiring attention.
- Carry out product pricing policies and ensure regular turnover of stock; report merchandise that is not moving; engage in re-pricing activities as needed.
- Supervise and participate in the unloading of incoming donations; ensure that items are properly sorted, stocked, and/or discarded in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Perform other job-related responsibilities and tasks (other than those stated in this job description) when directed by senior management.
- Ability to operate a computer and computerized retail point-of-sale system.
- Knowledge of effective customer service principals.
- Physical demands-Physical effort required associated with walking, standing, lifting, bending, reaching, twisting, pushing, pulling up to 25 pounds can range from 25% to 50% of the work time. Approximately 10% of the time, heavier items of up to 50 pounds will need to be moved, either with or without assistance.
No, per the federally mandated threshold for non-exempt employees
This description effective May 12, 2022 and supersedes all previous.
For more information on this position, please Contact Avenues. In the Comments box, type in "Retail Associate".