Assistant Market Manager
Brookshire Grocery Company
Brookshire Grocery Company (BGC) is a family business based in Tyler, Texas, and currently operates more than 180 stores in three states – Texas, Louisiana and Arkansas – with three distribution centers and a corporate office. BGC prides itself on offering its partners one of the most comprehensive benefits packages in the industry which includes medical, prescription drug, vision, dental, paid time off, stock ownership, a 401k retirement plan, incentive plans, employee discounts, educational scholarships, and access to BGC’s 205-acre outdoor recreation area.
Ensures market and seafood cases are kept full, rotated, and fresh with prepackaged meats. Works with market personnel to cut, weigh, package, and label products as needed, as well as promotes customer service.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Works in conjunction with upper management to train and develop partners, schedule, plan, assign, and direct work.
- Supports upper management with the review of historical data regarding sales, ads and promotions. Co-manages inventory using item management processes to ensure satisfactory in-stock levels. May review profit and loss, sales, shrink, and labor data with department manager.
- Indirectly responsible for maintaining and improving sales performance, financial results, public relations, product quality, and work standards.
- Checks inventory on trucks, unloads products, and ensures accuracy of inventory, product ordering, and associated paperwork.
- Cuts, weighs, packages, and labels product. Uses non-precision and precision tools and/or instruments to cut or saw unfinished meat products into desired sizes, shapes, and/or weights.
- Enforces quality control and food safety standards and ensures dated products are stocked and rotated properly. Makes fine judgements about aroma, texture, and color to inspect product for quality.
- Ensures that coolers and freezers are organized according to Company guidelines. Adheres to all governmental product origin labeling.
- Promotes product sales through use of suggestive selling initiatives.
- Provides friendly and customer-service-oriented attitude by greeting customers, answering questions and taking orders by phone and in person.
- Maintains clean, safe and sanitary working and shopping environment by adhering to Company safety procedures.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Intermediate knowledge of market department operations.
- Intermediate knowledge of in-store ordering machine and inventory management processes.
- Intermediate knowledge of scheduling software systems.
- Ability to read and operate digital equipment, meters, dials, and/or calibrated scales.
- Ability to safely operate and maintain department equipment.
- Ability to operate a manual or electric pallet jack.
- Ability to safely operate hazardous tools and equipment such as a bailer, etc.
- Ability to safely work with sharp objects such as saws, meat grinders, knives, box cutters, etc.
- Ability to use non-precision and precision hand tools.
- Ability to work well with fellow partners and promote a team environment.
- Ability to effectively communicate (in written and verbal form) with customers and partners.
- Ability to work flexible schedules including nights, weekends, and holidays.
Education, Experience, and Qualifications
- Minimum of 18 years of age required.
- High school Diploma or GED and one or more years of related experience; or an equivalent combination of experience and/or higher education required. Prerequisite experience as a meatcutter, apprentice, and/or manager trainee preferred.
- Food Handler certification required.
- Manager Food Safety certification required.
- Continuously required to use close vision, distance vision, depth perception, or the ability to focus.
- Continuously required to stand or walk.
- Frequently required to use hands for reaching, touching, or handling.
- Frequently required to bend, kneel, squat, or stoop.
- Frequently required to push, pull, maneuver or lift objects up to 40 lbs.
- Frequently required to talk and hear.
- Occasionally required to push, pull, maneuver or lift objects up to 75 lbs.
- Attendance at work is required.
Work Context and Environment
- Work is generally performed in a retail store.
- Frequently exposed to extreme cold conditions (non-weather).
- Frequently exposed to wet, slippery, or damp conditions.
- Frequently exposed to equipment with sharp blades or edges.
- Frequently exposed to cleaning agents.
- Moderate to loud noise level.
Brookshire Grocery Company strives to provide a safe, drug free and alcohol-free environment for its partners and guests. The Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and sexual orientation), national origin, age (40 or older), disability, genetic information or military status and any other trait protected by law.