Chief Estimator (BB Civils)
Become Part of Our Team
As an industry leader Balfour Beatty offers employees a comprehensive benefits package with competitive salaries and more including:
- Medical, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance
- Health Savings Account
- 401(k) with company match
- Flexible Spending Accounts (Dependent & Medical Reimbursement)
- Vacation Time
- Sick Time
- Paid Volunteer time
- Tuition Assistance
- Employee Referral Bonus
Balfour Beatty Construction is seeking an experienced Chief Estimator to join our West Region team in La Verne, California. The Chief Estimator will be fully responsible for all Estimating functions for the West Region. These responsibilities include reviewing contract documents; plans and associated specifications; planning; coordination; supervising takeoffs and estimating; conducting bid reviews; identifying and quantifying risk; and pricing for the company and our joint venture heavy civil estimates.
The candidate must have a minimum of 5-years of heavy civil construction field experience and 10-years of Heavy/Civil estimating experience. The Chief Estimator will provide mentoring, training, technical and administrative direction to the estimating staff and ensure that corporate objectives and Balfour Beatty s Code of Conduct are always met. The candidate must be highly proficient in HCSS HeavyBid estimating software.
- Manage and administer estimating functions as described above. Other duties include identifying projects to bid, estimating staff scheduling, performance evaluations, outreach to trade partners, business development, contributing to our win strategy and marketing.
- Assist corporate and project management to determine what types of projects to bid, strategies, techniques, etc. Includes the formal Request to Bid internal paperwork.
- Conduct and review all final estimate packages to ensure accuracy and completeness, prior to formal quotation.
- Participate in presentations to corporate management (CTC s and GTC s) and Clients.
- Provide technical assistance in negotiating contracts, change orders, etc. as required.
- Preparation of studies, materials and methods, development and maintenance of cost and production archives.
- Development and maintenance of relationships within the construction community.
- Perform additional assignments per supervisor's direction.
- Local or willing to commute to La Verne, California.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- The candidate must have a minimum of 5-years of heavy civil construction field experience and 10-years of Heavy/Civil estimating experience.
- The candidate must be highly proficient in HCSS Heavy Bid estimating software.
- Strong computer skills including the ability to use estimating software, word processing, Primavera P-6 Scheduling, spread sheets, bid management, online plan rooms and database applications and company communication tools, such as email, internet, and Microsoft products (e.g., Teams, Word, Excel, Office, Outlook).
- Bachelor of Science in Construction Management, Civil Engineering, or a related field.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage a team.
- Strong team-based character, creativity and motivation to win.
Balfour Beatty US is an industry-leading provider of general contracting, at-risk construction management and design-build services for public and private sector clients across the nation. Performing heavy civil and vertical construction, our teams build the unique structures and infrastructure that play an important role in how people live, work, learn and play in our communities. Our teammates have an instinctive passion for innovating that is fueled by a relentless curiosity, a drive to employ lean practices and processes and the determination to find a better way. Through Zero Harm, we are challenging the construction industry s assumptions about safety. We believe that no level of harm should come to anyone as a result of our business.
Consistently ranked among the nation s largest building contractors by Engineering News-Record, our US business is a subsidiary of London-based Balfour Beatty plc (LSE: BBY).
Balfour Beatty is an equal opportunity employer that recognizes the value of a diverse workforce. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other criteria protected by federal, state or local law.