Benefit Programs Specialist II
Virginia Dept of Social Services - Local
Date: Nov 25, 2022
City: Suffolk, VA
Salary: $43,979 - $43,979 / year
Contract type: Full time
**Previous applicants are still being considered, there is no need to re-apply.
Under limited supervision, performs case management and team leader/team member duties to determine eligibility of applicants for assistance through multiple benefit programs administered by the City Social Services Department. Work involves interviewing applicants and explaining multiple benefit programs, assisting applicants in completing forms, determining and advising applicants of eligibility for assistance, and providing or facilitating access to human services assistance. Verifies information received from applicants is correct and complete. Detects and reports cases of fraud. Maintains a variety of forms and records. Participates as a team member to improve customer service, operations, resolution of problems, and planning and control of the unit’s work
Experience involving social service program work including interviewing and counseling; assisting applicants in completing forms, determining and advising applicants of eligibility for assistance, and providing or facilitating access to human services assistance
Working knowledge of practices of public service organizations; economic and basic human behavior; financial assistance programs sufficient to determine/re-determine eligibility for benefits; eligibility requirements for social service assistance as outlined by State, Local and Federal guidelines, regulations and policies; mathematics to calculate percentages, formulas and averages to solve mathematical problems; and interviewing techniques such as data collection and investigation
Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing with broad spectrum of individuals to include, but not limited to, customers, employers, courts, and medical professionals in person and on the phone; interview, gather information, re-evaluate each client’s situation, and make referrals; determine a client’s ownership share in situations; make mathematical computations; analyze information and determine from a variety of sources missing information and gaps; apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written or oral form; use various types of automated technology to establish and maintain case records, access data such as estates, retirement accounts, and real estate, reports, and manipulate data; maintain professional ethics related to confidentiality; exercise sound judgment, discretion, tact and resourcefulness in solving problems and drawing logical conclusions; and establish and maintain effective working relationships with applicants and recipients, other public and private agencies, associates, and the public in a positive and tactful manner under sometimes stressful situations
High School Diploma with experience in benefit programs, use of computer software and hardware, and completion of required Benefit Programs training or any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities
- Prefer Bachelor’s degree in the Human Service field
- Prefer experience in a local Virginia DSS agency with, SNAP, TANF, and/or Medicaid BP eligibility determination work within the last couple of years.
- Prefer experience processing cases in a local Virginia DSS agency with VACMS/DMIS within the last 2 years
- Prefer working knowledge of Benefits Programs (BP) Intake and Ongoing case management policies and procedures
- Prefer Long-Term Care Medicaid eligibility determination experience in a local Virginia DSS agency
- Prefer multilingual ability
- Applicants may be subject to a Criminal History Background search, Central Registry search, DMV/driving record check, and/or pre-employment drug screen. The investigation may include fingerprint checks (State Police, FBI), local agency checks, employment verification, and references, verification of education, credit checks relevant to employment and other checks requested by the hiring authority.
- Employee must be willing to work disaster related assignments, including emergency shelter duty, in the event of a natural disaster or emergency.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applications are accepted online only through this posting. Only completed employment applications (complete with all periods of employment and unemployment, job duties, dates of employment, and job contact information) will be considered. This website will provide a confirmation receipt when the application is submitted for consideration. Consideration for an interview is based solely on the information within the application. Please refer to your RMS account for the status of your application and this position