The Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism is seeking an executive secretary. Reporting to the associate dean for development and external relations, this position supports the associate dean and provides the department’s office management to ensure the school's fundraising objectives are exceeded.
Ideal candidate for this position will have demonstrated executive secretarial experience with great time-management and multitasking abilities. S/he will possess a positive attitude and work well under pressure in a high-performing and collaborative environment. To ensure success, the executive secretary will be organized, an exceptional communicator, have superb research skills, and be self-driven and pro-active.
Role & Responsibilities:
- Provides primary administrative support for associate dean. Organizes the development and external relations office and makes day to day administrative and operational decisions to ensure the office runs efficiently.
- Maintains associate dean's calendar and accepts or declines commitments on her/his behalf. Reschedules existing appointments as deemed appropriate. Makes travel arrangements for associate dean as needed.
- Interfaces with external constituents, including coordinating Board of Councilors and other executive meetings. Arranges with vendors for services, prepares agendas, gathers, organizes and distributes supporting materials. Attends meetings to ensure satisfactory outcome and to record minutes and summaries for distribution.
- Processes all expenses for development and external relations staff. Sets up purchase orders, contracts, and executes all payment requests. Tracks payments of invoices, purchase orders, internal requisitions, etc.
- Serves as departments primary liaison to Annenberg Dean’s Office, Annenberg Business Office and University Advancement.
- Conducts gift and database administration. Creates and submits all new gift account requests to University Advancement and Annenberg Business Office. Processes all incoming gifts.
- Prepares academic and business correspondence, including confidential briefings for development and alumni relations events and meetings. Researches and gathers data or information on an as-needed basis. Updates departments webpages as needed.
- Supports student aid administration and stewardship by conducting scholarship award compliance checks and coordinating scholarship thank you letters with student recipients.
- Provides administrative support for all development and alumni relations events, including; booking venues, accounts payable and receivable, purchasing and preparing gifts, creating name tags, securing parking and room reservations, event set-up, etc.
- General office support to include screening calls, emails and visitors, determines action required to follow through to completion. Submitting tech and facilities requests to resolve issues and ensure the office runs efficiently. Orders all department supplies, including tracking of and ordering inventory for the departments’ conference room.
- Bachelor's degree
- Five years’ experience
Applications should be submitted via usccarreers.usc.edu and should include the following:
- Resume or CV and a cover letter, (Our system will allow you to add additional documentation by clicking the “upload” button in the same section where you attach your resume.)
- If you are a current USC employee, please visit the Career Worklet on the Workday Homepage and select “Find Jobs” to view USC Jobs.
This is a full-time staff position.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of (5) five business days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled any time after the minimum posting period has ended, so please apply on the same business day if interested.
USC has excellent benefits, including health and dental benefits for staff and their family with access to the renowned university medical network; eligibility for retirement plans; tuition benefits for staff and their family; central Los Angeles location with easy access to commuter trains, transit subsidy program, buses and free tram pick up services; discounts to sporting and other campus events.
About the Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism
Located in Los Angeles at the University of Southern California, the Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism is a national leader in education and scholarship in the fields of communication, journalism, public diplomacy and public relations. With an enrollment of more than 2,200 students, USC Annenberg offers doctoral, master's and bachelor's degree programs, as well as continuing development programs for working professionals across a broad scope of academic inquiry. The school's comprehensive curriculum emphasizes the core skills of leadership, innovation, service and entrepreneurship and draws upon the resources of a networked university located in the media capital of the world. For additional information, see our website: https://annenberg.usc.edu/.
USC is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law or USC policy. We provide reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. Applicants with questions about access or requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process should contact USC Human Resources by phone at (213) 821-8100, or by email at [email protected] Inquiries will be treated as confidential to the extent permitted by law.
USC will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring ordinance.
Minimum Education: Bachelor's degree Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education Minimum Experience: 3 years Preferred Education: Bachelor's degree Preferred Experience: 5 years Minimum Field of Expertise: Executive secretarial experience