Construction Project Manager, Data Center Construction
Amazon Data Services, Inc.
Date: 1 week ago
City: College Park, MD
Contract type: Full time
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Construction Management or an equivalent engineering science OR 6+ years of related construction management experience in lieu of a degree.
- 6+ years of experience in construction management of large, complex projects involving large-scale mechanical, electrical and plumbing (MEP) plants.
- 6+ years of general contractor and vendor management experience (request for proposals, bidding, change orders, quality control, RFI/submittal tracking) associated with construction and project execution.
- 6+ years of experience constructing electrical engineering systems including large scale power distribution/generation gear and constructing mechanical engineering systems including cooling systems.
As a Data Center Construction Manager you will be a part of a creative, diverse team tasked with solving fascinating problems constructing Amazon Data Centers. Our data centers are industry-leading examples of energy efficient, cost-effective designs. You will work alongside partner teams such as Operations, Networking, Controls, Security, and Commissioning to build Data Centers that directly support our Customers.
As our Data Center Construction Manager, you will build some of the most interesting electrical and mechanical systems in the world. You will be on the construction site daily interacting with the construction trades, as Amazon’s owner’s representative and be directly responsible for driving cost, schedule, and quality while managing construction vendors and contractors building data centers
At Amazon, we are all Owners and leverage unique opportunities presented to us by owning everything from the design review to construction bidding to construction execution and final hand-off to our customers. We are a diverse, upbeat, creative, team of engineers and managers working on a daily basis to develop innovative data centers for our Customers
The Data Center Construction Manager will be responsible for construction project management and oversight of construction related activities as they relate to new builds or general capital projects which includes the ownership of the project scope, quality, schedule, and budget. Some of the typical daily tasks of the Construction Manager:
- Direct interface with construction general contractors during the bidding, award, execution, and project closeout/punch list phases.
- Conduct negotiations with general contractors and evaluate bids/proposals with detail and accuracy.
- Create construction project scope and request for proposals.
- Financial analysis of construction.
- Construction project management for specific initiatives aimed at increasing the resiliency of our data centers.
- Constructability reviews of electrical and mechanical designs associated with the construction of new data centers or optimization of existing data centers.
- Construction document management including submittal review, RFI’s, change orders, and invoicing.
- Construction project quality control.
- Record and report key construction metrics to team members and management.
- Drive teams to perform troubleshooting and root-cause failure analysis associated with equipment failures.
- Be a leader within the group as well as within internal and external teams that support the data center.
- Understand electrical engineering principles including switch gear, UPS, transformers, and circuit breakers. Understand mechanical engineering principles for cooling systems.
- Experience directly related to the design or construction of data centers/critical infrastructure or large scale mechanical and electrical plants.
- Possess clear written and verbal communication skills and ability to use data to justify conclusions.
- Value engineering: proven ability to reduce costs through creative solutions with no impact on quality and reliability (new designs, technology, or construction methods).
- Able to read and interpret construction specifications and drawings for all disciplines.
- Define data center system-level architecture, specify/document performance and equipment requirements, create/communicate conceptual designs, and create/maintain project documentation.
- Experience with large scale technical operations or large-scale compute farms.
- Knowledge of building codes and regulations including Life Safety, BOCA, NFPA, NEC, and OSHA.
- Experience in controls and commissioning of large scale projects.
- Experience with power management and power monitoring systems.
- Certifications such as Professional Engineer (PE), LEED, and/or Certified Construction Manager (CCM)
- Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role
- Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon Web Services (AWS) is the world’s most comprehensive and broadly adopted cloud
platform. We pioneered cloud computing and never stopped innovating — that’s why customers
from the most successful startups to Global 500 companies trust our robust suite of products and
services to power their businesses
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, it’s in our nature to learn and be curious. Our employee-led affinity groups foster
a culture of inclusion that empower us to celebrate our differences. Ongoing events and learning
experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender
diversity) conferences, inspire us to never stop embracing our uniqueness
We value work-life harmony. Achieving success at work should never come at the expense of
sacrifices at home, which is why flexible work hours and arrangements are part of our culture.
When we feel supported in the workplace and at home, there’s nothing we can’t achieve in the
Mentorship & Career Growth
We’re continuously raising our performance bar as we strive to become Earth’s Best Employer.
That’s why you’ll find endless knowledge-sharing, mentorship and other career-advancing
resources here to help you develop into a better-rounded professional
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.