Billing Specialist - Urology
This position is responsible for the financial activities of all patient accounts to include but not limited to all of the following: cashiering, bank deposits and reconciliation, refunds, posting of cash and adjustments, scanning, collections, working AR including denials, review and mailing of patient statements, providing excellent customer service on bills of those patients calling or stopping by the department and provides explanation for any inquiries.
- High School Diploma/GED is required
- Comprehensive knowledge of healthcare reimbursement.
- Understands medical terminology
- Familiarity with EOB’s and RA’s
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office suite, working knowledge of Excel required.
- Excellent Customer Service
- Good written and verbal communication skills required
- Must be able to multi-task
- Ability to read, write and speak English
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely with all levels of management
- Bilingual – English/Spanish, preferred
- Previous healthcare experience (2-3 yrs.) required, hospital experience preferred.
- Communicates clearly and concisely and is able to work effectively with other employees, patients and external parties
- Establishes and maintains long-term customer relationships, building rapport with other department staff
- Demonstrates proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, be able to type at least 35 WPM, and good working knowledge of Excel is required.
- Able to perform basic mathematical calculations, balance and reconcile figures, punctuate properly and spell correctly.
- Medical Terminology, ICD-9, ICD – 10, Codes, CPT Codes, HCPCS code, Modifier knowledge required.
- Ability to use the internet to obtain information from Third Party Payers or other sources is required.
- Requires working with minimal to moderate interruptions
- Promotes the facility mission, vision and values by effectively communicating them to others. Considers mission, vision and values in developing services, standards and practices
- Prepares office visit, office procedures, hospital procedures, and ancillary procedures and enters into the computer system and reconciles to the system report or scans the charges to the billing vendor as needed
- Sends billing daily to carriers via electronic batches and reconciles batches daily
- Posts live commercial, co-pay and other payments as received daily
- Prepares deposit for Office Manager's review and daily deposit
- Balances ERA's with the bank statement as needed
- Works all correspondence received, including zero payments, denials and other information received from ins. carriers on a daily basis to assist with work administrator duties
- Receives calls/visits from patients and assists staff with questions regarding payments, EOB’s and reasons for denials as requested
- Helps to answer phones with any customer service questions from the public or ins. carriers as needed
- Uses TMHP portal to review patients who are pending Medicaid numbers in order to add those numbers to billings for hospital procedures in order to bill in a timely manner
- Verifies insurance for any visit/procedure as needed, including pre certification and pre authorizations
- Sends day end report to billing vendor, ensuring that all daily tasks are complete and ready for review
- Meet with patients who have balances and need to make payment arrangements, as needed
- Helps with any customer service questions relating to billing or balances owed as needed
- Take messages from the voice mail, returning calls, and helping patients, as needed
- Timely completion of daily, weekly and monthly reports
- Auditing of office visit and procedure charges
- Goes to the bank and/or post office as needed
- Cross trained to all areas of the Business office
- Other duties as assigned.
LINES OF REPSONSIBILITES
Physician, Chief Ambulatory Officer, Practice Administrator, Manager