Patent Agent - (Trainee Program)
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
Are you an AstraZeneca scientist looking for new opportunities? We are looking for a motivated scientist who wants to expand their career outside the lab by utilizing their great experience and skills within our IP Trainee program.
The Patent Agent (IP Trainee program) is three-year program designed to enable each Trainee to develop the necessary skills to provide innovative solutions to complex IP problems using patent knowledge, research, appropriate consultation, ingenuity and creativity. Each Trainee will be assigned specific projects and will handle all patent drafting and prosecution for those projects under the mentorship of an experienced attorney. Trainees will also learn how to provide strategic advice to stakeholders from all aspects of the AZ business - from early R&D to commercial. Trainees will also be expected to play an active role in the IP department as well as the Global Legal function as a whole.
The Patent Agent position is an intensive learning role where the Trainee will be given mentoring to develop the skill sets necessary to provide all aspects of patent drafting and prosecution service to assigned AZ client areas. This training will also include preparation for the US Patent and Trademark Office Patent Bar exam, with an expectation that the Trainee will take this exam (funded by AZ) sometime during the training period.
What You’ll Do (with the supervision of an AZ Attorney):
- Preparation and prosecution of patent applications worldwide and providing patent advice to project teams, including analysis of third-party IP.
- Impacting the wider business through assisting more senior colleagues in developing IP strategies by providing strategic patent advice to the assigned stakeholders reflecting therapy area strategy objectives, identifying creative patent opportunities, and mitigating risks.
- Drafting and prosecuting patent portfolios relating to an assigned therapy area.
- Operating within Global IP to proactively contribute to the continuing evolution of the department and its operation and strategic direction.
- Applicants must have at least a Master’s degree in chemistry or a biological sciences, with lab experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication in English.
- Knowledge of drug development research
- Applicants commit to take the US Patent and Trademark Office Patent Bar exam sometime during the training period.
- The ability to interact with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders, including scientific and commercial staff, at all levels.
- Proven capabilities in the areas of collaboration and flexibility.
- PhD preferred
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial -finding those moments and recognizing their potential. Interested? Come and join our journey!
Next Steps – Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.