Plant Quality Lead - Controlled Environments
Corteva Agriscience is seeking a Plant Quality Lead for our large, multi-crop, greenhouse facility in Johnston, Iowa. The individual will lead a team and be responsible for ensuring plant quality, integrated pest management, irrigation and fertigation practices, and environmental control systems. We are looking someone with a passion for plants, people and pipelines who can work as part of a high-performing team.
Responsibilities - How will you help us grow?
- Make strategic and reactionary decisions on plant production management practices like plant fertility, substrate, growing environment and integrated pest management
- Provide technical horticulture/plant science expertise
- Troubleshoot plant quality issues
- Lead and manage controlled environment plant quality team
- Stay current with controlled environment technology to ensure continuous improvement
- Coordinate with universities and external vendors to find solutions to issues
- Identify and integrate new technologies and establish growth conditions for new crops
- Communicate with internal and external collaborators and stakeholders
- Influence horticultural practices across the Corteva network of greenhouses
Requirements - What expertise have you grown?
- BS in horticulture or related sciences and 10+ years of greenhouse management experience,
- MS in horticulture or related sciences and 5+ years of greenhouse management experience, or
- PhD in horticulture or related sciences and 3+ years of greenhouse management experience
Successful candidates have:
- Experience growing Corn, Soy, Wheat, or other agronomic crops at large-scale under controlled environment
- Experience working with complex, multi-crop production pipelines
- greenhouse environment management
- integrated pest management
- plant nutrition and plant water requirement-Irrigation
- diagnosing and correcting complex biological and horticultural issues (abiotic and biotic)
- soilless substrate
- environmental control systems (e.g. Argus controls)
- utilizing data from a wide range of sensors to make plant quality decisions
- use large data sets to maintain plant quality dashboards and inform interventions
- lead people through direct accountability and influence
- respond to crisis and troubleshoot plant quality issues
- communicate to a wide audience with varied biological/horticulture knowledge
Check out life at Corteva!
Benefits - Let's peek at how you can grow your wellbeing, health, and future at Corteva!
- Great work-life balance with robust time off benefits including paid maternity, paternal and family illness leave
- Prepare for your future with our competitive retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement program, and more
- Enjoy access to health benefits for you and your family on your first day of employment
- And much, much more!
We care about you and we care that you're comfortable. While there's no place like home, Corteva comes close.
Our Johnston, Iowa campus is home to 2,500 employees whose mission is simple – to feed the world. While our employees are busy working to solve world hunger and ensure environmental sustainability, we're taking care of them by offering convenience and comfort during the workday with an onsite fitness center, coffee shop and top-notch cafeteria touting a grill, deli, fresh salad bar and a variety of healthy menu options. Need some fresh air during your work day? Take advantage of our beautiful, tree-lined walking trails or relax by the pond. We also offer countless opportunities to connect with your colleagues through community volunteerism, sports teams and parties, and holiday events. Did we mention you'll be working in state-of-the art buildings with the latest technology with colleagues from all over the world? Join us in bringing food into homes around the world, while we make you feel at home while you're at work.
Des Moines, Iowa is the fastest-growing major metropolitan area in the Midwest with a nationally ranked high quality of living. It's nicknamed the Silicon Prairie for its place as an up-and-coming hot spot for technology. Living here means Saturdays at the nationally renowned Downtown Farmers' Market, sporting events, a robust downtown night life and access to one of the most artistic medium sized cities. If you enjoy the outdoors, Des Moines offers beautiful nature trails for a casual walking, running or biking adventures.
It means going to a job you love and coming home to a community of friends and family. Communities care about their residents and residents care about their communities, making a difference for everyone who lives here. This is a place where culture flourishes and opportunities grow, where a work-life balance can be achieved, where education is unmatched, and award-winning arts and entertainment are right around the corner.
Ready to grow your perspectives, impact and career? We seek applicants from all backgrounds to ensure we get the best, most creative talent on our team.Start by applying to this opportunity today!