Mechanical Accounting Specialist
RK is a multifaceted, industry-leading, specialty contractor headquartered in Denver, CO, with decades of experience working in the construction, manufacturing and building services industries. As a second-generation family-owned enterprise, RK prides itself on developing strong relationships with customers, as true project partners, throughout the Mountain West region. RK brings creativity, performance and optimism to every project.
RK Mechanical offers commercial and industrial plumbing, mechanical piping, process piping, HVAC and refrigeration construction.
RK Contributions medical plans with HSA and FSA options for you and your family
- Four medical plans with HSA and FSA options for you and your family
- 401(k) plan with company match that is 100% immediately vested
- Dental and vision insurance
- Short-term and long-term disability plans available after one year
- Company provided life insurance and AD&D with options for supplemental buy-ups.
- Paid time off and holidays
- Weekly pay
- Career development training for all levels through RK University
- Discounts on products and services for life necessities such as phone, internet, and work apparel
- Fun company and team building events, and volunteering opportunities
- Confidential counseling for personal issues, financial advice and more
- Discounts on entertainment including amusement park tickets, restaurant specials and more
Purpose of Position:
This position supports the Project Management Team, using management control processes and tools, to plan, monitor and control project costs, billings, payment collections and schedules, and identify and mitigate risks that may impact a project, while maintaining quality control and document control requirements.
- Cash receipt follow-up
- Assist PMs with cash collections and wherever practical develop relationships with customers to facilitate payments
- Follow-up with PMs and list all follow-up actions needed to collect on over 90-day balances
- Forecast the date of cash collections for each monthly billing invoice by project
- Customer billing follow-up
- Work with PMs to ensure every project completes a monthly invoice to the customer
- Validate that all invoices are successfully booked in Textura (where applicable), and also properly recorded in Viewpoint (RKs ERP system)
- Ultimately learn how to determine if the customer has been billed enough to be in an ‘overbilled’ position.
- Retention billing forecast
- Determine when the retention should be billed to the customer
- Follow-up with the PM team to ensure retentions are billed when due
- Ultimately learn how to do a retention billing in Viewpoint
- Assist PMs with change order management support
- Ensure each PM has proper support for their change orders (COs)
- Work with PMs to validate that all received orders are properly included in the project job value
- All contracts are properly updated in the project management file
- Assist PM Team with proper lean releases to ensure payments are received and subcontractors are paid properly.
- Assist with data gathering for the annual 3rd party financial audit of the Mechanical business unit
- Validate that all new projects added to the ‘work in progress’ schedule are supported by a valid contract
- Ultimately learn how to enter contracts and contract change orders into Viewpoint
- Possess abilities and skills needed to assist Business Unit Controller and/or Business Unit Vice President.
- Promotes open communication and collaboration between all parties to ensure that projects are completed with minimal disruptions and delays.
- Routinely reviews contracts, budgets, billings, change orders and payments for accuracy and alignment with Project Management processes and controls.
- Reviews, evaluates and recommends updates and/or improvements to Project Management processes, procedures and documents as applicable and/or necessary to accommodate current requirements or needs.
- Promptly return all phone calls in a polite and professional manner.
- Competency in common office software
- Ability to understand the full cycle of Project Management at the company and willingness to perform any part of it.
- Complete special projects on an as needed basis.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Comply with all company policies and procedures.
- Must understand basic accounting functions.
- Keep sensitive information confidential.
- Strong communication and problem-solving skills.
- Prompt, punctual, and regular attendance during core business hours, in an office environment currently located in the Stapleton area of Denver, including a reliable means of transport
- All employees are accountable for safety and health and are empowered to stop work if an unsafe condition is present. Employees should immediately notify their supervisor so that the hazard may be corrected.
Minimum Physical Requirements:
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to: stand, sit, talk, hear, and use hands and fingers to operate a computer, telephone, and a variety of office equipment.
- Occasionally may need to reach, stoop, or kneel.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision requirements due to computer work.
- Accounting degree, education or past experience working in accounting
- 10 years minimum experience
- Experience working with projects and percent complete accounting
- Pleasant but firm demeanor for working with customers to get paid
- Experience on accounts receivable follow-up
- A willingness to enjoy working with project managers and their teams
- Expect the person to work in the office 4 days a week, with 1-day work from home
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Viewpoint Vista or Great Plains experience preferred but not required
Denver Business Journal Denver-Area Private Companies: Ranked #21 in 2021, #19 in 2019 and various ranks in previous ten years or more
Denver Business Journal Denver-Area Private Sector Employers: Ranked #12 in 2022, #25 in 2021, #19 in 2019
Denver Business Journal Fastest-Growing Denver-Area Private Companies: Ranked #6, 2019
Denver Business Journal Fast 50 list: Ranked #6 2019
ABC’s Top 200 Performers: Ranked #31 in 2022, Ranked #22 in 2021, Ranked #16 in 2020, Ranked #18 in 2019
ABC’s Top 75 Trade Contractors: Ranked #11 in 2022, Ranked #7 in 2021
ABC’s Top Performers by Market:
Airport Contractor: Ranked #15 in 2022
Entertainment Contractor: Ranked #9 in 2022
High Tech Contractor: Ranked #8 in 2022
Hospitality Contractor: Ranked #10 in 2022
Mixed Use Contractor: Ranked #6 in 2022
Museums, Monuments and Parks Contractor: Ranked #9 in 2022
Office Contractor: Ranked #20 in 2022
Wellness Workdays and Harvard Medical School Best Wellness Employer Certification: 2019 Silver
ColoradoBiz Magazine Top Company 2021 Awards: Winner, Category: Construction + Engineering
ColoradoBiz Magazine Top Company 2017 Awards: Winner, Category: Construction + Engineering
ColoradoBiz Magazine Top 50 Family Owned Companies: Ranked #1 since 2011
ColoradoBiz Magazine Top 200 Private Companies: Ranked #8 in 2021 and 2020, Ranked #10 in 2019, Ranked #11 2018
ColoradoBiz Magazine Top 250 Private Companies: Every year since 2011
American Heart Association Fit-Friendly Worksite Award: 2020 (Gold), 2019 (Gold), 2018 (Gold), 2017 (Silver), 2016 (Platinum), 2015 (Gold)
Colorado Workforce Development Council: Celebration of Excellence in Apprenticeship, 2018 Outstanding Employer
Business Experiential Learning Commission: 2020 Colorado Apprentice Award, Employer category
Engineering News Record Specialty Contractor of the Year - Mountain States: 2020
Health Links Healthy Workplace: Certified leader in 2022 and 2021
RK MECHANICAL AWARDS
ABC’s Top 20 Plumbing/HVAC Contractors: Ranked #2 in 2022, Ranked #3, 2021, Ranked #2, 2020
Denver Business Journal Denver-Area Mechanical Contractors: Ranked #1 since 2015
ABC Excellence In Construction Awards (Regional)
Miramar - Salt Lake Data Center, 2021 Award of Excellence
Ascent Union Station, 2020 Award of Excellence
Engineering News Record Top 600 Specialty Contractors: #97 in 2022, #101 in 2021, #95 in 2020, #70 in 2019, #67 in 2018
Engineering News Record Top 50 Mechanical Firms: #33 in 2022, #47 in 2021, #39 in 2020, #29 in 2019, 2011-2017
ABC STEP Awards: Diamond level: 2022, 2017, Platinum level: 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2016, 2015, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008
ACCA Award Member: Safety Master’s Club
AGC Safety Utah: Silver Award with 5 stars, 2022
COMMUNITY AND PHILANTHROPY
Denver Business Journal Corporate Foundations: Ranked # 6 in 2021, #7 in 2020, #6 in 2019
Denver Business Journal Denver Area Corporate Philanthropists: Ranked #22 in 2021, #23 in 2020
The Civic 50 Colorado: One of the most community-minded companies 2020, 2019
Carson J Spencer Foundation: 2015 Corporate Shooting Star Award for RK’s suicide prevention efforts