Manager R and D Firmware
Johnson & Johnson
Johnson & Johnson Surgical Vision, Inc. a division of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies is recruiting for a Manager, R&D Firmware Engineering located in Santa Ana, CA.
At Johnson & Johnson Vision , we have a bold ambition: to change the trajectory of eye health. That’s why, through our operating companies, we’ve developed solutions for every stage of life—to help people see better, connect better and live better. We partner with eye care professionals to provide some of the world’s leading products and technologies to address refractive error, cataracts, dry eye, and beyond. We are committed to using our reach and size for good and strive to put quality eye care within reach of everyone, everywhere. Visit us at www.jjvision.com . Follow @JNJVision on Twitter and Johnson & Johnson Vision on LinkedIn.
The Manager, R&D Firmware Engineering will provide leadership, vision and direction to the electrical engineering group in the development of next-generation ophthalmic surgical equipment. This person will drive functional excellence in electrical engineering and develop a diverse team of engineers who will deliver leading technology and products to market.
You and your team will architect innovative electrical systems for our groundbreaking ophthalmic platforms which include laser vision correction, cataract surgery, occular surface disease, and other emerging surgical systems. Controls and interfaces include motors, lasers, fluidics, pneumatics, audio, and other transducers. You'll improve healthcare by working directly with surgeons and hearing patient stories, and find the best mix of design, simulation, and hands-on work in the lab.
- Drive a culture of excellence in engineering, characterized by deep technical competence, creativity, rigorous analysis, data-driven decision making, and collaboration.
- Manage a group of highly skilled electrical engineers in the development of innovative firmware designs including simulation, fabrication, testing, debugging, and system integration.
- Hands-on design, integration, and problem-solving.
- Collaborate with systems, electrical, software, mechanical engineering, and verification groups to architect new systems, define system design specifications, risk analysis, and testing plans.
- Direct activities to ensure new product development activities are achieved within agreed upon scope, timeline, and budget.
- Manage external vendors or contractors to deliver subsystems that meet design specification and reliability targets.
- Be a subject matter expert for the organization, technical lead on projects, and mentor/coach to engineers
- Understand disease states, treatments, and unmet patient and customer needs
- Research and stay ahead of emerging technology, industry, and regulatory trends to build a competitive advantage
- Protect intellectual property by writing invention disclosures and supporting patent applications
- Monitor and ensure compliance with internal and external requirements (e.g. compliance with FDA regulations, etc.).
- Recruit, coach and develop organizational talent. Foster a diverse and inclusive workplace that enables all participants to contribute to their full potential.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
- A Bachelors’ degree in electrical engineering, computer engineering, computer science, or equivalent is required. Advanced Degree is preferred.
- 8+ years’ experience with increasing responsibility including management of teams, functional groups, and/or projects is required.
- 4+ years’ experience in R&D and product development is required.
- Proficiency with lauguages and tools for coding, along with version control and laboratory measurements, is required.
- Knowledge of communication protocols, data acquisition, and physical controllers is required.
- Experience developing medical device equipment is preferred.
- Experience with software quality systems is preferred.
- Experience with real-time operating systems, microcontrollers, and FPGA's is preferred.
- Must have strong verbal and written communication skills and the ability to communicate effectively across all levels of the organization.
- Ability to travel up to 15%, international and domestic is required
At Johnson & Johnson, we’re on a mission to change the trajectory of health for humanity. That starts by creating the world’s healthiest workforce. Through cutting-edge programs and policies, we empower the physical, mental, emotional and financial health of our employees and the ones they love. As such, depending on location and subject to local legislation, candidates offered employment may be required to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination or, in certain countries, secure an approved accommodation prior to the commencement of employment to support the well-being of our employees, their families and the communities in which we live and work. If you are invited to interview for the position, your recruiter will advise on the vaccine requirement status in your geographic location.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.