Traffic Management Center (TMC) Operator - Baton Rouge (Part Time)
Serco North America
Looking for a career where you can make a difference every day? Discover this opportunity to become a Part Time Traffic Management Center (TMC) Operator in Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Serco supports the Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development (DOTD) in their initiative to improve the operations of the TMC and improve coordination with partners in responding to incidents on the roads. We achieve this goal with an experienced and highly trained team of TMC Operators.
As a TMC Operator, you can expect to:
- Use ATMS iNet software to control and monitor field devices such as Closed-Circuit Television (CCTV) cameras, Digital Message Signs (DMSs), ramp meters, emergency crossover gates, and any other technology related to devices that may form part of an Intelligent Transportation System (ITS).
- Monitor video images for the detection and verification of incidents such as debris, abandoned or disabled vehicles, and hazardous or non-hazardous spills.
- Use ATMS iNet software to log confirmed incidents, and construction and maintenance lane closures.
- Use Global Positioning System (GPS)-enabled software to monitor the location of Motorist Assistance Patrol (MAP) vehicles, directing resources to where they are needed.
- Communicate and dispatch MAP units via radio, landline, or phone using standard protocol to the locations of road hazards and incidents; provide clear, accurate directions to the location and an accurate description of an incident as advised by public safety entities, or Department personnel.
- Communicate via radio, landline, or phone with law enforcement, EMS, fire department, or towing services; provide clear, accurate information regarding incidents and the response required.
- Communicate via radio, landline, or phone, with Department personnel statewide to include Maintenance and Construction personnel, ITS, Traffic Operations Department management, and Federal Highway Administration as appropriate to provide clear, accurate information regarding incidents, traffic, road maintenance, construction activity, and related weather conditions.
- Input repair tickets for malfunctioning ITS equipment.
- Ensure all radio communications comply with Department and Federal Communications Commission (FCC) rules and regulations adhering to radio protocol and the use of proper 10-codes.
- Receive information from law enforcement and other agencies reporting damage to the transportation system and communicate damage information to the appropriate contact.
- Receive communication from DOTD/Louisiana State Police (LSP)/State Radio authorizing Amber Alerts and activate Amber Alert messages for DMS or specified region as determined by LSP and confirm activation to DOTD and LSP.
- Receive information (phone call) from Zetron indicating high-water level and communicate to appropriate DOTD District staff.
- When alerts are canceled, clear messages from all activated DMS and email reports to the Special Alert Group.
- Coordinate and collaborate with ITS personnel, District Traffic Operations Engineers/Department Operations staff, with appropriate local agencies, other authorities and towing and wrecker companies to manage and clear traffic incidents.
- Support all emergency/special events operations, such as severe weather events, special events that generate high traffic volume such as mobile operations and political rallies.
- Log potential and confirmed incidents, construction, and maintenance closures using ITS software.
- Monitor weather conditions for potential problems affecting traffic, make the necessary communications, and take appropriate actions. Update entries/information on the511la.org website.
- Complete annual one-day ride-along with MAP units.
- Answer phones to provide information or assistance to motorists, DOTD personnel, or other agencies on traffic and road conditions; direct calls to appropriate personnel in traffic operations, ITS Section or take appropriate action.
- Perform clear and concise recordkeeping, logging of required information, equipment checks, data gathering, and updating of manuals and contact lists that include all pertinent information.
- Complete initial and periodic re-training and performance evaluation testing programs developed by the TIM & Training Coordinator.
- Perform Traffic Management (TM) operations, incident management, travel information dissemination and customer service tasks not explicitly identified that fall within the scope of the project.
To be successful in this role you will have:
- High School diploma.
- 0–2 years of customer support or equivalent experience within the last three years.
- Availability to work various shifts, weekends, and holidays.
- English-language speaking and writing skills to compose clear and concise sentences without spelling or grammatical errors.
- Ability to complete and pass the 3-week (paid) training.
This position is contingent upon your ability to pass a preemployment criminal history check and drug screen
Serco Inc. (Serco) is the Americas division of Serco Group, plc. Serco serves every branch of the U.S. military, numerous U.S. Federal civilian agencies, the Intelligence Community, the Canadian government, state and local governments, and commercial clients. We help our clients deliver vital services more efficiently while increasing the satisfaction of their end customers. Headquartered in Herndon, Virginia, Serco Americas has over 9,000 employees and is part of a $4 billion global business that helps transform government and public services around the world. At Serco, our employees are our most valuable asset - we listen, respect and support them throughout their career at Serco. We invite you to become part of our dynamic team. Serco is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversifying our workforce (Race/ Color/ Sex/ Sexual Orientation/ Gender Identity/ Religion/ National Origin/ Disability/ Vets)
To review Serco benefits please visit: https://www.serco.com/na/careers/benefits-of-choosing-serco
If you require an accommodation with the application process please email: [email protected] or call the HR Service Desk at
800-628-6458, option 1. Please note, due to EEOC/OFCCP compliance, Serco is unable to accept resumes by email
Serco does not accept unsolicited resumes through or from search firms or staffing agencies without being a contracted approved vendor. All unsolicited resumes will be considered the property of Serco and will not be obligated to pay a placement or contract fee. If you are interested in becoming an approved vendor at Serco, please email [email protected]
COVID-19 Regulations: Serco complies with all applicable COVID-19 requirements. This may require employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19, provide attestations regarding vaccination status and/or COVID-19 testing, or satisfy other conditions of employment that Serco deems appropriate, and employees may be required to show proof of vaccination and/or negative COVID-19 test results as a condition of employment (except in limited circumstances where an employee is legally entitled to an accommodation).