Resident Coordinator at the McKinnell Shelter
The Salvation Army Western USA
Mission Statement: The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian Church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of God. Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.
Position Title: Resident Coordinator, Part-Time
Corps/Department: Salvation Army, McKinnell House
Reports To: Program Manager
FLSA Status: Part-Time; Non-Exempt
Scope of Position:
The McKinnell House Resident Coordinator monitors the activities of the residents in the shelter; maintains security and safety of all residents in the shelter; and may provide para-professional counseling services to homeless families to assist in transitioning from homelessness to independent living.
1. High school diploma or equivalency, two (2) years of experience working with homeless populations, preferably in a residential or shelter establishment.
2. Knowledge of housekeeping equipment and household cleaners.
3. Ability to operate general office equipment including computers.
4. Knowledge and understanding of confidentiality requirements in the workplace.
5. Demonstrated ability to manage time effectively, and to work harmoniously with clients, visitors, officers, and other personnel.
6. Current CPR and first aid certification; acceptable criminal history records.
1. Oversees facilities ensuring that safety precautions are observed at all times; rotates facility security checks regularly with other staff members on assigned shifts.
2. Answers incoming calls; maintains communication logs.
3. Reinforces policies/expectations for clients living in the program’s community environment; communicates to parents child supervision expectations; provides parenting education and support; enforces Child Safety Program policies.
4. Completes and maintains facility incident reports, as directed.
5. Remains available to assist clients with questions and requests, and provides feedback to clinical staff on client progress plans.
6. Promotes self-sufficiency of residents by assisting clients with job searches as requested; oversees clients in accomplishing house duties, provides necessary supplies, and checks that tasks have been completed.
7. Maintains competency by attending meetings, trainings, and classes as required.
8. Conducts preliminary intakes during the evening, night, and weekend shifts, as directed.
9. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Work is performed in a heated and ventilated institution setting. Noise level is low. Exposure to extreme temperatures is not a requirement of this position. The use of personal protective equipment may be required in accordance with the Hazard Communication Plan.
1. Ability to speak, sit, walk, stand, bend, climb, kneel, and twist on an intermittent basis; to grasp, reach, handle, finger, push or pull objects.
2. Hearing and vision acuity at or corrected to within normal levels.
3. Ability to lift up to 20 lbs., or more with assistance.
4. Ability to operate a motor vehicle in daylight, darkness, or in inclement weather conditions.
Qualified individuals must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without accommodation. A qualified person with a disability may request a modification or adjustment to the job or work environment in order to meet the physical requirements of the position. The Salvation Army will attempt to satisfy requests as long as the accommodation needed is reasonable and no undue hardship would result.
Acknowledgement of Religious Purposes of The Salvation Army: The employee acknowledges that he/she has been informed and understands The Salvation Army’s religious purpose and status as a church. The employee agrees that he/she shall do nothing to his/her relationship with The Salvation Army as an employee to undermine its religious mission. The employee agrees and understands that his/her services are a necessary part of The Army’s religious purposes and his/her work-related conduct must not conflict with, interfere with, or undermine such religious programs or The Army’s religious purposes.
Confidentiality Statement: The employee understands that all information is to be treated as highly confidential. Non-compliance will result in disciplinary action.
Equal Employment Opportunity: The Salvation Army is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to providing a respectful environment for all applicants and employees that is free from unlawful discrimination or harassment based on age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, marital status, disability, citizenship, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other characteristic protected by law. Such equal opportunity for employment will apply to recruitment and hiring, training, promotion, salaries and other compensation, transfers, and layoffs or termination.
Job Description Acknowledgment: This position description should not be interpreted as all inclusive. It is intended to identify the major responsibilities and requirements of this position. The incumbent may be requested to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this position statement.