Transportation Engineer, Jubail - #17033
Requisition ID: 273097
- Relocation Authorized: International - Family
- Grade: 26-27
- Position to be Panel Interviewed? No
- Telework Type: Full-Time Office/Project
- Work Location: Jubail
- Employee Referral Amount:
Since 1898, we have helped customers complete more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries on all seven continents that have created jobs, grown economies, improved the resiliency of the world's infrastructure, increased access to energy, resources, and vital services, and made the world a safer, cleaner place.
Differentiated by the quality of our people and our relentless drive to deliver the most successful outcomes, we align our capabilities to our customers’ objectives to create a lasting positive impact.
We serve the Infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Energy, and Mining & Metals markets. Our services span from initial planning and investment, through start-up and operations. Core to Bechtel are our values – ethics, safety, quality, people, culture, relationships, innovation and sustainability, and our covenants – integrity, respect, collaboration, trust, and delivery. They are what we believe, what customers can expect, and how we deliver.
Jubail is one of Bechtel’s most remarkable achievements—a city built from the sand up, requiring vast resources and logistical planning on an unprecedented scale. It the biggest civil engineering project in modern times—and it's getting bigger. Bechtel has managed the Jubail project, located in the Eastern Province of Saudi Arabia, since it began in the mid-1970s. Saudi Arabian Bechtel Company (SABCO) serves as the Management Services Contractor (MSC), or “owner’s representative” for our client, the Royal Commission (RC). We are the Engineering, Procurement, and Construction (EPC) managers, managing design submissions from local AE firms, and overseeing the actual construction work being performed by local contractors and sub-contractors in Jubail and Ras-Al-Khair Industrial Cities. In June 2021, Bechtel’s contract with the Royal Commission was renewed for another 5 years with work focusing on building new residential communities, iconic buildings/ bridges, major site preparation, commercial buildings, mosques, schools, hospitals, sports facilities, clinics, universities, utility services and infrastructure (electrical sub-stations, lift stations), roads and highways, port & pipeline expansions, and more.
The role requires expert knowledge of transport and traffic modeling, project appraisal and experience in large scale transport studies and projects for rail, road and bus projects.
- Assist the Area Engineering Manager to grow and develop the Planning and Technical Studies section.
- Prepare, plan and analyze compliance documents.
- Establish, develop and maintain client relationships and be involved with marketing, contractual, design and production meetings.
- Participates in design development and contract document work sessions in conjunction with appropriate technical professionals and other disciplines.
- Present technical papers on projects.
- Provide technical direction to other relevant professionals.
- Prepare expressions of interest, tender submissions.
- Review and discuss complex technical reports and undertake peer reviews.
- Attend meetings with clients and maintain a cordial working relationship with the clients, sub-consultants and sub-contractors.
- Review and analyze the development and implementation of transportation models for strategic planning purposes, including long-term traffic forecasting, network design, and capacity analysis.
- Conduct macro & microsimulation modelling to assess the performance of specific transportation facilities, such as intersections, highways, and public transport systems.
- Perform junction modelling to analyze junction & intersection traffic flow, signal optimization, and capacity improvements.
- Undertake travel demand modelling, trip generation, trip distribution and trip assignment using first principles and authority-approved manuals.
- Collaborate with internal and external stakeholders; including engineers, planners, and analysts, to collect and validate data, ensuring the accuracy and reliability of transport models.
- Conduct research and stay updated on the latest transportation modelling techniques, methodologies, and software tools.
- Review and provide feedback on comprehensive reports, presentations, and technical documentation to communicate findings, recommendations, and insights to clients and project stakeholders.
- Work closely with clients to understand their requirements, provide expert advice, and deliver high-quality modelling solutions that address their specific needs.
- Lead the modelling team and coordinate inputs globally, providing guidance, ensuring project coordination, and supporting junior team members to enhance their technical skills and professional development.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to integrate transportation modelling outputs with other planning and engineering disciplines, such as land use planning and environmental impact assessments.
Qualifications and Skills:
- BS in Civil Engineering/Transportation Engineering with minimum 10+ years’ experience in Transportation Planning / Traffic Engineering.
- Proven experience (at least 10 years) in strategic and macro modelling in the transportation planning and engineering sector.
- Experts in the 4-steps transportation demand modeling including surveys formulation and assessments.
- Expert knowledge of urban planning, transit, traffic safety and engineering and city-wide master planning.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully undertake and deliver to the client’s Terms of Reference.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, with the ability to present complex technical concepts in a clear and concise manner.
- Strong project management abilities, with the capacity to manage multiple projects simultaneously and deliver results within defined timelines.
- Able to work in a culturally diverse environment recognizing and respecting differences.
- Master's degree in Transportation Planning or related field.
- Chartered / Registered Professional Engineer
- To have experience with Traffic Impact Studies (TIS), modeling, signal coordination and optimization, signal capacity analysis, Intelligent Transportation System (ITS), safety, and MOT regulations within the GCC region.
- Sound knowledge of traffic engineering principles and traffic flow theory.
- Knowledge and experience of using international standards such as AASHTO - Green Book, HCM, HSM, MUTCD, ITE, and FHWA guidelines.
- Proficiency in using industry-standard software tools, including Vissim, Visum, Emme, Synchro, Sidra and HCS.
- Preferred familiarity with GIS (Geographic Information System) software and its application in transportation planning and modelling including the ability to transfer modelling outputs to GIS formats.
- Significant experience in transport projects as well as civil engineering projects including delivering within project based budgets and timelines.
- Knowledge of regulations of Local, Regional and International transportation agencies.
- Self-motivated individual with good leadership skills and experience and the ability to influence without authority.
- Experience managing an integrated engineering design team on complex buildings development projects.
Grade 26 - Minimum 10+ years’ experience in Transportation Planning / Traffic Engineering.
Grade 27 - 15+ years’ experience in Transportation Planning / Traffic Engineering.
Bechtel employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or show proof of a negative test result prior to accessing Bechtel sites/facilities to the extent required by applicable law or by customer requirements.
Bechtel’s internal staffing policy includes the minimum time that you need to be in your current position before applying to a new position. Please refer to the applicable policy manual and ensure you meet the minimum requirements.
Per Policy 203-Internal Staffing, the Functional Manager of all internal Bechtel employees that are selected to proceed with an interview as part of Bechtel’s internal recruitment process will receive a notification including the position title and corresponding Functional Lead.