Senior Environmental Engineer, Jubail - #16350
Requisition ID: 272854
- Relocation Authorized: International - Family
- Telework Type: Full-Time Office/Project
- Work Location: Jubail
Since 1898, we have helped customers complete more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries on all seven continents that have created jobs, grown economies, improved the resiliency of the world's infrastructure, increased access to energy, resources, and vital services, and made the world a safer, cleaner place.
Differentiated by the quality of our people and our relentless drive to deliver the most successful outcomes, we align our capabilities to our customers’ objectives to create a lasting positive impact.
We serve the Infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Energy, and Mining & Metals markets. Our services span from initial planning and investment, through start-up and operations. Core to Bechtel are our values – ethics, safety, quality, people, culture, relationships, innovation and sustainability, and our covenants – integrity, respect, collaboration, trust, and delivery. They are what we believe, what customers can expect, and how we deliver.
Jubail is one of Bechtel’s most remarkable achievements—a city built from the sand up, requiring vast resources and logistical planning on an unprecedented scale. It the biggest civil engineering project in modern times—and it's getting bigger. Bechtel has managed the Jubail project, located in the Eastern Province of Saudi Arabia, since it began in the mid-1970s. Saudi Arabian Bechtel Company (SABCO) serves as the Management Services Contractor (MSC), or “owner’s representative” for our client, the Royal Commission (RC). We are the Engineering, Procurement, and Construction (EPC) managers, managing design submissions from local AE firms, and overseeing the actual construction work being performed by local contractors and sub-contractors in Jubail and Ras-Al-Khair Industrial Cities. In June 2021, Bechtel’s contract with the Royal Commission was renewed for another 5 years with work focusing on building new residential communities, iconic buildings/ bridges, major site preparation, commercial buildings, mosques, schools, hospitals, sports facilities, clinics, universities, utility services and infrastructure (electrical sub-stations, lift stations), roads and highways, port & pipeline expansions, and more.
- The Senior Environmental Engineering is the conduit between Engineering, Construction and Environmental Protection and Controls Department. Key job duties include:
- Manage environmental assessment studies for the Jubail Industrial City including:
- Formulation of the scope and management the Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) studies and deliverables.
- Managing the development of the environmental management program, and assisting the Royal Commission in the implementation of the program.
- Establishing contract specific environmental requirements.
- Review of contractor environmental credentials at prequalification and tender.
- Liaison with Royal Commission for Jubail and Yanbu.
- Ensuring that contractor environmental management plans meet contract and Royal Commission for Jubail and Yanbu requirements and that contractors are complying with the requirements of their environmental management plans.
- Provide assistance and professional advice to engineering, project and construction management in identifying and complying with environmental requirements and in addressing environmental issues as they arise during project planning and execution.
- Coordinate with and providing technical assistance to other project-assigned functional leads (e.g., engineering, subcontracts, procurement, project controls) concerning compliance with project-specific environmental requirements.
- Provide client with expert opinion on miscellaneous environmental issues.
- Reviews project technical progress against approved schedules, scope and quality, and evaluates changes and takes corrective action when required.
- Manages the flow of information required to and from third parties and stakeholders to assure the timely progress of the technical work.
- Prepares or directs the preparation of project studies, reports, forecasts, and special technical reports.
- Communicates complex technical issues and recommends solutions to client, project and functional management as directed and as appropriate.
- Understanding of local, state/provincial, and federal/national government programs and processes.
- Ability to work with the public and articulate planning issues to a wide variety of audiences.
- Ability to function as a mediator or facilitator when community interests conflict.
- Understanding of the legal foundation for land use regulation.
- Mastery of geographic information systems (GIS) and office (presentation, spreadsheet, etc.) software.
Qualifications and Skills:
- University degree in Civil, Chemical, Environmental or any related Engineering discipline.
- 10+ years of experience in large facility/ infrastructure projects in the following areas: permitting, environmental regulatory compliance (air, water, soil, waste), assessment of environmental impact, site investigations and field surveys, source monitoring, and monitoring of the ambient environment.
- Experience in one of the following primary industries: petroleum refining, metals (smelting, rolling, alloys), and power plants.
- Strong professional background managing the development of complex environmental technical studies.
- Fluent in English Language both oral and written communication.
- Strong Communication and Presentation skills.
- Working within an integrated team with a diverse mixture of nationalities and cultures.
- Proven team player across Engineering Dept. stakeholders and other internal and external project stakeholders.
- Experience in performing air dispersion modeling (AERMOD and CALPUFF).
- Experience in performing Marine dispersion modeling.
- Knowledge of Best Available Techniques for the control of surface water discharges.
- Experience in US regulatory requirements for the prevention of significant deterioration of air quality.
- Experience in US National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA).
- Knowledge of international environmental regulations such as Federal US regulations, European Union or other advanced environmental regulatory systems.
- Environmental permitting/compliance experience in other manufacturing industries such as building materials, cement, glass, refractory products, machine and mechanical parts, fertilizers, nitrates and ammonia.
- Certification in sustainability rating system such as LEED, BREEAM or CEEQUAL.
- Experience with preparation and monitoring of engineering performance and progress reporting (EPPR).
- Knowledge and understanding of engineering Quality Management Systems.
- Understanding of the social and environmental impact of planning decisions on communities.
- Understanding of the interaction among the economy, transportation, health and human services, and land-use regulation.
- Fluency in Arabic language would be highly regarded however, is not essential.
- Comfortable with a diverse and inclusive working environment.
- Capable of mentoring and supervising junior engineers their technical and leadership skills.
Shaping tomorrow together
Bechtel is one of the most respected global engineering, construction, and project management companies. Together with our customers, we deliver landmark projects that foster long-term progress and economic growth. Since 1898, we’ve completed more than 25,000 extraordinary projects across 160 countries on all seven continents. We operate through five global businesses: Infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Energy; Mining & Metals; and Manufacturing & Technology. Our company and our culture are built on more than a century of leadership and a relentless adherence to our values, the core of which are safety, quality, ethics, and integrity. These values are what we believe, what we expect, what we deliver, and what we live.
Bechtel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, disability, citizenship status (except as authorized by law), protected veteran status, genetic information, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
Bechtel employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or show proof of a negative test result prior to accessing Bechtel sites/facilities to the extent required by applicable law or by customer requirements.