Clinical Laboratory Technician - #16996
Johns Hopkins Aramco Healthcare
Performs a wide variety of laboratory chemical, microscopic and/or bacteriologic tests to obtain data for use in diagnosis and treatment of diseases.
- Working in Johns Hopkins Aramco Healthcare Clinical Laboratory Services Section/Medical & Technical Support Services department in Dhahran, Al Hasa, Ras Tanura, Abqaiq and Udhailiyah (HA, RT, ABQ and UDH) under direction and supervision of Clinical Laboratory Technologist Specialist.
- Technician deal with infectious samples, examining microorganisms for medical purposes while exercising the best safety measures to minimize the risk of any hazardous accidents.
- Dhahran Technician may rotate through the various areas within the laboratory in order to be familiar with the different lab procedures/tests performed throughout the lab especially when working shifts.
- District Technician performs a variety of clinical tests in a combination of areas of specialization.
Has direct daily, contact with patients for specimen collection, physicians and nurses in regard to questions about specimen collection, handling and laboratory reports. Has daily direct contact with triage/collection lab for specimen. Report to Technical Supervisor
- All techs should be familiar with Laboratory interface system (LIS), daily Quality Control (QC), Calibration and Preventive Maintenance (PM) activities along with basic troubleshooting of instruments.
- Responsible for the operation and maintenance of instrumentation as assigned.
- Performs monitoring, recording waste and inventory of supply items.
- Performs and effectively evaluates & documents the quality control for each procedure performed.
- Demonstrates general knowledge and understanding of QC by effectively using the appropriate QC guidelines and follow up.
- Responsible for performing and reporting internal and external proficiency following the same guidelines and care used with patient specimens.
- Maintaining and operating standard laboratory equipment, for example Centrifuges and pipettes.
- Performs all functions that are required for the laboratory to maintain and meet the standards specified by accrediting agencies such as College of American Pathologists (CAP), Joint Commission International (JCI) , American Association for Blood Bank (AABB), Saudi Central Board for Accreditation of Healthcare Institutions(CBAHI)
- Maintains clean and sanitary work area in accordance with standard laboratory practice and procedures.
Principal Duties (cont'd)
TYPICAL DUTES ARE OUTLINED WITH EACH SPECIALIZATION AREA:
- Cultivates and identifies organisms as to genus/species or general morphological group from patient’s body fluids, exudates, skin scraping or autopsy and surgical specimens, to:
- Provide data on the causes and cure of disease. May use automated cell counter, Chemistry analyser or Antimicrobia testing systems.
- Isolates bacteria and identifies them by determination of their cultural characteristics and biochemical reactions.
- Determines the susceptibility of pathogenic organisms to antibiotics.
- Identifies intestinal parasites, parasites which invade the blood and or/other tissues of man, such as Plamodium Leishmania, Trypanosoma and filarial worms. Detects parasites when such early detection is rendered difficult by the scarcity of the parasites or by its stage of development.
3. BIOCHEMISTRY AND GENERAL CHEMISTRY:
- Performs over 100 different Laboratory tests involving the use of sophisticated and automated Analyzer, as well as manual techniques.
4. PHLEBOTOMY LABORATORY:
- Collects blood from patients by finger stick or venipuncture. Must be familiar with the various tests available, the amount of blood required for each and the type of tube used.
- Performs a variety of coagulation studies using sophisticated and automated Analyzer, as well as manual techniques.
6. BLOOD BANK:
- Screens donor and draws 500 ml of blood for transfusion in accordance with the standards of the American Association of Blood Banks.
- Processes blood by typing, special grouping, and antibody screening identification.
- Prepare blood components such as packed cells, fresh frozen plasma, platelet rich plasma, platelet concentrate and cryoprecipitate.
- Crossmatches patient’s blood to that of donor’s to establish compatibility using a variety of special sera and panel cells.
- Performs chemical and microscopic analysis of urine. Uses automated urinalysis systems.
- Performs a variety of hematology tests using sophisticated and automated analyzer, as well as manual techniques. Performs microscopic and examination of blood smears for differential white count.
9. SPECIAL PROCEDURES:
- Performs a variety of tests following routine testing for higher caliber testing for further investigation requested by physician like hematology special procedure, Flowcytometry, advanced coagulation testing and more specialized test in all section of the laboratory.
Other if applicable:
- LIS Functions: Must have full knowledge and proficiency on the day to day LIS functionalities employed in the section such as MEM, OEM, OER, PL, MIQ, IQ, REI, Transfusion and Donor Processing, etc. Train the new-hires on the LIS functionalities used in the section as deem necessary.
- Comply with the applicable JHAH Safety rules and policies, standard precautions and maintain safe work practices at all times.
- Report injuries, spills, unsafe conditions, near misses and incidents immediately.
- Maintain knowledge of Safety requirements including Emergency Response actions, Fire Training, mandatory Safety courses, BLS certification and participate in all required Safety drills.
Two years diploma in medical technology.
A minimum of 3 years work experience in clinical laboratory work is required
Certifications/Other requirements as applicable
- Saudi Commission for health specialties Licensure requirement must be met.
- All medical technician must be certified through the Board of Certification (BOC)
- Good communication in oral and written English.
- Good understanding of Clinical lab standards and policies.
- Good computer skills.
- Thorough knowledge of company policies and procedures, statistics and JHAH emergency disaster plans and response.
- Acceptable level of analytical ability in order to complete tasks assigned, gather and interpret data from different courses, and resolve problems.
- Must be qualified for the required Medical License.
- Willing to work shift pattern as required (day, evening, night).
- Willing to work overtime if required.
- Flexible, and willing to work in any Clinical laboratory District –wide (HA, RT, ABQ and UDH)